1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Phil Niekro

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Michael_ Gee, Dec 27, 2020.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The ultimate knuckleballer dies at age 81.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Yep, it was Phil Niekro … and the fact that a knuckleballer was the Braves’ ace in the 1970s should tell you everything you need to know about the Braves in the 1970s.

TigerVols likes this.
  3. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

RIP to a notable major-leaguer.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Tough year. We’ve lost an entire starting rotation of Hall of Famers with Niekro, Seaver, Gibson and Ford.
    RIP

6. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Got my Niekro autograph on the wall, from Yankee years. Brother Joe lifted him in his 300th, a nice moment. His 21-20 record in 1979 will never be duplicated.

garrow and Twirling Time like this.
  8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Wilbur Wood had a stretch of 22-13, 24-17, 24-20, 20-19 and 16-20 from 1971-75.

9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Just about to mention this. Led the NL in both wins and losses.

10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

When I was in college Phil appeared at a local Walmart to sign autographs, but I couldn't go because of a final. :(

RIP

11. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Won more games in his 40s than he did in his 20s. He had a great quote about leaving for Spring Training with the Yankees for the first time that went something like, “I was so used to driving to the Braves site that I almost did it by accident. I figured why not go in and get a cup of coffee and say hi. Then I realized that was in the past and kept going.”

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  12. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

Interviewed Niekro when he was managing the Silver Bullets. I couldn't believe I was interviewing a childhood hero.

2muchcoffeeman and garrow like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted