1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Phil Jasner

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by old_tony, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Roob

Roob New Member

beautifully done from Bill Lyon on Phil

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/20101205_Bill_Lyon__Daily_News__Jasner__The_ultimate_professional.html

Just one more - that was his calling card, that was what drove him.

Just one more question to ask. Just one more quote to elicit. Just one more angle to pursue. Just one more detail to examine and reexamine. Just one more rumor to run down. Just one more - well, just one more of whatever it would take to get it right, to make it fair, to get to the truth.

Because of that devotion to just-one-thing-more, Phil Jasner was almost always the last man out of the locker room - and no one worked that room more deftly - and then he would sit and spread the tools of the trade before him: Typewriter in the early days, computers later, steno notebooks, tape recorder, cup of ice for munching (it sounded like rifle fire). Then he would assume the position - elbows out, flaps up, ready, commence writing.

He would pound the keyboard with the touch of a jackhammer, and the end product, after an hour or so, would roll out, complete, meticulous, accurate, evenhanded, professional. Always professional.

And, oh yes, Editor Man, Phil says he would be more than happy to submit another sidebar, if you'd like.

2. Roob

Roob New Member

Ray Didinger on Phil: http://www.csnphilly.com/12/04/10/bDidingerb-Remembering-Sixers-writer-Phi/landing_sixers.html?blockID=366477&feedID=2227

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Roob, I know that you and a few other can personally testify to the greatness of Phil Jasner. For those of you who are wondering why we are showing him so much love and respect, just Google his name or check the Philadelphia Daily News archives. The man was a class act.

4. ThePrez

ThePrez New Member

I came across Phil on the NBA trail when the Grizzlies first came to Memphis. I'd heard a lot of great things about him, and he didn't disappoint. Observe Phil for a few days and he was what we'd all like to be as sports writers and reporters. He was thorough, he loved what he did, he wrote and worked without ego (a lost art in this business), he never thought he was bigger than the event he covered and he was always willing to help a fellow scribe. That will be sorely missed in this backstabbing, all-eyes-on me business. Too many in our profession are too self-absorbed, more concerned about bitching was cut from their story or column, and griping about assignments, travel cuts and space reduction. We forget the sheer joy of what we do. Phil never lost that. I've written sports for 30 years and that's how I plan to be to the end. Thank you Phil for showing the way. You were a helluva reporter and an even better human being.

5. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Condolences and prayers go out to the Jasner family. I worked in the same company as Andy and always heard great things about Mr. Phil Jasner.

6. mocheeks10

mocheeks10 Member

Went to his memorial service today, and it was as wonderful as the man himself.

The funeral home was packed with media types and basketball types. John Chaney, Jay Wright, Phil Martelli were there. So too was Samuel Dalembert, who befriended Phil when he played for the Sixers and made the cross-country trip from Sacramento. (Alas, no current Sixers were there, perhaps owing to the young of the roster. But shouldn't Elton Brand or Andre Iguodala or, well, SOMEBODY, have thought it was a good idea to be there? Just sayin'.)

The speakers were Sixers coach Doug Collins, Daily News columnist emeritus Stan Hochman, Eagles broadcaster Merrill Reese (a lifelong friend of Phil's), Dick Jerardi of the Daily News and Michael Barkann of Comcast SportsNet.

They were all great, but here are two highlights that come immediately to mind:

Collins said that as he was being considered for the Sixers coaching job earlier this year, Phil texted him EVERY DAY, saying things like, "I don't wanna get beat on this story."

And Jerardi read some of the emails that came in to the DN after Phil's death. One guy wrote to say that a few years back he was sitting at a stoplight when he looked over and saw Phil in the car next to his. They rolled down their windows and began discussing the Sixers' recent signing of journeyman forward Brian Skinner. Phil outlined the reasons he thought it was a good move. Then the light changed, and as both cars moved forward, the two men continued their discussion for several feet. A comical image, that.

Very moving, very powerful ceremony.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

A lot of people can't handle things such as memorials.

8. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

I hope that's the reason, Drip, I have to say, there were some people I expected to see there, from the '80s and '90s era Sixers, who were not present.

One more Phil story: My last sustained interaction with him came a few months ago. Phil had noticed that a fellow NBA beat writer's byline had disappeared from the coverage of that guy's team. Phil knew the guy was an acquaintance of mine from when we both covered hockey. He asked me if I knew what was up. I didn't, and didnt have time to look into it. Phil looked into it, determined the guy had indeed been laid off, and emailed me back with his concern for the guy, lamenting what had happened, etc.
    The whole time I was reading Phil's words I was thinking about the situation Phil was in, which we both knew was far worse than a layoff.
    There are a lot of good reporters, but there aren't a lot of people like Phil.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Good stuff about an even better guy. Thanks for sharing.

10. mocheeks10

mocheeks10 Member

Les -- er, Beardpuller:

Billy Cunningham apparently couldn't make it because he had just had back surgery. Not sure about Julius Erving, but both he and Billy called Andy before the ceremony to express their regrets about not being able to make it -- as did Bill Walton.

Not sure what the reasoning of the current players might have been. And I agree that memorial services are tough for everyone. But I also wonder if it says something about the self-absorption of pro athletes.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

I understand where you are coming from. Some guys probably felt best to extend their wishes to the family privately. I don't have a problem with that. Death isn't an easy thing and many can't handle it.

12. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

Andy ... I'm very sorry for your loss ... didn't know your dad, but in reading these tributes, I feel as though I did, and I truly wish I had ... you have someone to be very proud of, and I'm sure he felt the same way about you ... Peace and comfort to you ... Dan

Draft saved Draft deleted