1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Phil Harris (Deadliest Catch)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Not much on the press release.

http://press.discovery.com/us/dsc/press-releases/2010/Passing-of-Captain-Phil-Harris/

2. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

That's really sad. The wife and I watch that show religiously, and Phil was one of our favorites. Hope his kids can cope, they were a couple of good kids when they weren't giving their dad a hard time.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Same. Love that show, and he was one of the better characters. Bummer. RIP.

4. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

RIP. The show will never be the same without you, Phil.

5. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Damn. RIP Capt. Phil

Hope his boys can continue his legacy, if they choose to do so.

Deadliest Catch won't be the same without him.

6. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

That blows. Whatever he had going on last year, coupled with his job habits and the stroke were too much I guess.

RIP

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

His boat, the MV Cornelia Marie, has its own blog but the server has crashed hard.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

LA Times report:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/gossip/2010/02/deadliest-catch-captain-phil-harris-dies-after-stroke.html

9. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

When your doctor advises you to quit smoking or you're going to die ... quit smoking, or you're going to die.

I didn't like Phil's chances when he was lighting up a day after being admitted to the hospital last season.

Completely agree that the show - one of the most compelling on TV - will never be the same.

10. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

PD has a point. I'm saddened to see Capt. Phil shove off, so to speak, but you can't really say it was that big of a surprise.

I think what I like(d) most about him, and Sig, for that matter, is that these guys are who they are, cameras or not. With the Hilstrands, the pandering to the camera is obvious. With these two guys, what you see is what you get.

Here's hoping the two sons find some peace -- and more importantly, learn from their father's mistakes.

11. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Deadliest Catch, indeed.

12. Jake Harris popped for DUI in Wash. State ....

Draft saved Draft deleted