1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Peter Graves

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spup1122, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

Agreed.

Unlike his retired big brother - James is not only older, he's a good four inches taller - Peter was still very much in the industry. As of the end of 2009, he was still actively seeking work.

Graves isn't ready to retire. He received his star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in October. "It's a great place in front of Musso and Frank," he says. "I think I have been hanging around so long, I guess they had to give it to me."

He still acts on TV. Graves chuckles when he recalls his guest part on "House" as a man living in a retirement community. "All the girls were after him," Graves says about his character. "There was one woman in particular he fancied, but she demanded too much from him."

Graves is always the working actor, looking for the next great role. "There has got to be some good parts around for guys my age," he says cheerfully.

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/dec/30/entertainment/la-et-classic30-2009dec30

Good night, Mr. Phelps. :'(

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Am I the only one who tripped over the typo in the lede of the first obit linked?

3. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I heard he was great in "Airplane."

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Solid actor. Makes me wish the TV movie "The President is Missing..." was available on Netflix. Good movie.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Loved the part in the obit where he originally turned down the part in Airplane! because it was in poor taste. Then Lloyd Bridges, Robert Stack and Leslie Nielsen signed on.

"Joey, have you ever been in a Turkish prison?"

RIP

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Have you ever seen St. Peter naked?

RIP.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

It's still there.

8. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

RIP
    A great actor. I also remember a role he did as the Flying Dutchman on Fantasy Island.

9. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

"Roger, Roger. What's your vector, Victor?"

RIP to one of the great voices in the acting biz.

10. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Read a story somewhere -- might be in the LAT feature linked -- that says he wasn't happy at all with the MST3K guys who did one of his movies.

11. "The secretary will disavow any knowledge of their actions.

"Good luck, Jim."

12. Dr. Howard

Dr. Howard Member

I guess I am so ancient that I remember the guy who preceded Peter Graves on Mission Impossible. Actor named Steven Hill. He was Mr. Briggs. I think it was Dan Briggs. And then the little reel-to-reel tape recorder would hiss and you'd get Lalo Schifrin's brilliant theme music. OK, nostalgia period over for now.

Draft saved Draft deleted