1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Peter Gent

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Oct 1, 2011.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Damn. Pete Gent dead at 69. RIP.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/7043394/north-dallas-forty-author-former-dallas-cowboy-peter-gent-dies-michigan

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Book was one of a kind.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Weird to think of Peter Gent having even been 69. Great book. Interesting guy. RIP.

4. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

R.I.P. What a great book. For some reason, I was thinking about the movie just the other day and wanting to see it again.

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I doubt this was the first time.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Easy, Poot.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

GREAT book. kicked the crap outta the movie. read it when i was 16 or 17 and was devasated by the ending, disturbed for days.

r.i.p., pete. and thanks. well done!

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Heard him in a radio interview about 7-8 years ago and he was boring as hell. Great book and movie, though.

Long live Phil Elliott!

9. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Just read the book a few weeks ago. One of my favorites. RIP.

10. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Ummm... wow. Damn is right, 21. This just hit me like a 2-by-4.

I read "North Dallas Forty" twice, but read the sequel probably a half-dozen times. They were disturbing, but not nearly as disturbing as "The Franchise", which was one of the darkest novels I've ever read.

You could tell Gent had a real chip on his shoulder about sports. There was no glory in his books, just a dark, sleazy, malevolent tone throughout. They may have ended on a good note, but that note was drenched in bitterness and darkness.

RIP to a talented writer who carried a burden with him few could understand.

11. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I've got an original paperback copy, too.
    RIP, Peter Gent

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Not a good year for North Dallas Forty folks connected by 6 degrees of separation-- Gent, Meredith, JD Spradlin

Draft saved Draft deleted