1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Peter Finney

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jon Burrows, Aug 13, 2016.

1. Jon Burrows

Jon Burrows New Member

One of the true giants of of sports writing. Imagine a career that began before the end of World War II and lasted until 2014. You can be in this business for more than 100 years and never meet a better person. We were lucky to have him and also lucky that his son, Peter Jr., put together a best-of compilation of his best columns which was published earlier this year.

Peter Finney, the sports 'journalistic voice' of New Orleans, dies at 88

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Never had the pleasure of meeting Peter Sr. His son worked with us at FanHouse and was an incredible, incredible pro. RIP to a legend.

3. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Peter Finney & Bob Roesler at the T-P were my inspiration for getting into the sports writing gig. I was living in N.O. and just spinning my wheels professionally, and I'd read their stuff and think, "man, that's something I'd like to do for a living." So I made it happen. Met Finney a few times at Saints games, and he was just as polite to a rookie reporter from Mississippi as he would have been to Dr. Z.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Peter was a wonderful colleague to hang with and a damn good writer. This is very sad news.

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Class act. RIP.

Draft saved Draft deleted