1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Peter Falk

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HC, Jun 24, 2011.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Loved the one at Military school with Bruno Kirby as a cadet

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Never realized until reading Falk's obit that Columbo was never an actual weekly series, but a series of TV movies.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

NBC Mystery Movie series rotation included Columbo, McMillan and Wife, McCloud and others.

4. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

That was one of my favorites. Loved it.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

Back when TV networks actually put some thought into ambitious and thoughtful programming, with good writing and production values.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I'd argue that good TV has been as good as it's ever been in the last decade. I'd put The Wire, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, The Sopranos, Deadwood, etc., up against any TV drama ever made.

There's of course mucho laziness going on with all the reality shows and cliched CSI-type procedurals, but is the worst of TV nowadays any worse than The Beverly Hillbillies, Green Acres, Gilligan's Island, 'et al in the late 60s?

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

You're right about the dramas you've mentioned. As for the comedies you cited, at least they were scripted shows at/which many people could laugh in humour, as opposed to ridicule like a lot of the garbage that's out there now.

I miss the days when the networks' "movie of the week" was usually as good as any feature film in the theatres, and you also had the epic "mini-series" that everyone got all wrapped up in. The TV world and the music world just got way too fragmented, IMHO.

8. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Ah, I did not know this, but now that you mention it, it makes perfect sense. What a damn cool idea.

RIP

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I can't even remember the last decent miniseries on one of the major networks. The only one I can think of anywhere that was good was the Battlestar Galactica remake which began with a miniseries on Sci-Fi (now SyFy).

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Castle isn't bad, especially given the volume of episodes they grind out.

Draft saved Draft deleted