1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Peter Falk

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HC, Jun 24, 2011.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I guess heaven needed just one more thing.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Jokes about DB posts aside, I really can't think of anything I saw him in that I didn't think he was great.

I was about to wonder what took so long to mention The In-Laws, but HC linked a scene from it.

There were even movies I didn't like, but I enjoyed his performance, such as the grandfather in Roommates.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

For those of you who ever watched "Wings of Desire," you'll know that he has merely returned to heaven.

It always amused me that we had his home phone # in the big file at USA Today. I was often tempted to call, but didn't.

5. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

"made" was awesome. And Falk was outstanding in it.

6. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

He was also great in "Murder by Death"

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

8. HC

HC Well-Known Member

One more clip - Peter Falk in character as Columbo at a Dean Martin Roast for Frank Sinatra. I actually remember watching this in high school (yes, I'm THAT old). :D

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I have long contended that Columbo is the best-written and acted cop/crime/mystery show in TV history. What is it about a mystery that creates suspense? Who did it, how and why. Columbo gave you those in the opening scene, and yet the show was still incredibly compelling and suspenseful because of the writing and Falk's portrayal of the character.

10. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I've always felt that Columbo was the prototype for Vincent D'Onofrio's Robert Goren. In fact, the original episodes of "Law & Order: Criminal Intent" started with the viewer seeing the crime committed and then watching the detectives figure it out.

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Petrovich from Dostoevsky's "Crime and Punishment" was the character Columbo was modeled after, and Peter Falk worked magic with it.

RIP.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Columbo wasn't nearly the career asshole the Goren character is.

Falk was in bad shape, for a good while. The end's probably viewed as merciful, by intimates.

I'm a huge fan . . . for "Trials of O'Brien", if nothing else. Will miss him. He had some very interesting friends
    and companions.

Draft saved Draft deleted