1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, Peter Boyle ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Claws for Concern, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Re: RIP Peter Boyle

Damn.
    For old times' sake:

2. boots

boots New Member

You young whipper snapers may not have seen him in the movie JOE, but it was a sleeper hit and he kicked ass. He also used to be a Christian Brothers Monk. RIP

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I brought that up on the other Peter Boyle thread--on the Sports & News side of things.

Saw that flick when it came out in 1970.

4. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Boots,

I've never seen Joe, but I have always thought Peter Boyle's best performance was in "The Friends of Eddie Coyle," opposite Robert Mitchum. A tremendous "slepper" movie.

A damn, damn shame. RIP to a great actor.

5. boots

boots New Member

I guess we are showing our age JR.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

count me in among the geezers who loved "joe." susan sarandon played his daughter, i believe. boyle was also tremendous in "the candidate," playing redford's campaign manager.

rip, peter.

7. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Is this IMDB factoid right? If so, it's an outrage.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Yeah, particularly when you find out that certain SportsJournalists.comers' mothers are younger than you.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I think it's worthwhile to post this interview with Peter Boyle just after "Joe" came out:

http://movies2.nytimes.com/mem/movies/review.html?_r=2&title1=&title2=Joe%20%28Movie%29&reviewer=JUDY%20KLEMESRUD&pdate=19700802&oref=slogin&oref=login

"At the tryouts, I improvised instead of reading the script they gave me," he says, "because I had been hearing that character all my life. In Philly, where I grew up, people all around me were spouting off about 'those damn niggers, and people on welfare, and wops, and kikes.' I did the same type of character at Second City, and I knew the character so well that when it came to the actual shooting of the movie, I was worried that I would do a caricature."

10. Full of Shit

Full of Shit Member

Yes on both counts. It's correct, and an outrage. He and Doris Roberts were the best things about that show.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

It's OK JR. My mom's 59. :D

12. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

He was great as the father in Monster's Ball.

Shut up Marie!

Draft saved Draft deleted