1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Pete Postlethwaite

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Dead at age 64 after a 20-YEAR(!) battle with cancer:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1343650/Actor-Pete-Postlethwaite-dies-age-64.html

Always enjoyed his work. Played a great villain; just a menacing-looking dude. Was in two of the better movies of 2010, "The Town" and "Inception."

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Re: RIP Pete Postlewaithe

Great character actor. I'll always remember him from In the Name of the Father and The Usual Suspects.

RIP

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I kinda, sorta remember him from Jurassic Park. RIP.

YOU'RE MY BOY PETE!

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Get your rest, Gentlemen. The boat will be ready for you on Friday. If I see you or any of your friends before then, Miss. Finneran will find herself the victim of a most gruesome violation before she dies. As will your father, Mr. Hockney. and your Uncle Randall in Arizona, Mr. Kint. I might only castrate Mr. McManus's nephew, David. Do I make myself clear?

Just loved his matter-of-fact delivery in that one. RIP

5. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

RIP, Guiseppe![/lighting paper on fire and throwing it out the window]

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

You have to admire him for working until damn near the end as well. You could tell by looking at him he was not in great health during the filming of "The Town," but his drawn and gaunt visage only added to his character's menace.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

What is incredibly odd is that my girlfriend who grew up in rural Europe in a home where pop culture wasn't stressed, has never seen so many movies. So I rent good older ones one by one for her to see. And we watched The Usual Suspects this past weekend. How odd that I woke up to Postlewaithe dead this morning. I really enjoyed his work.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

I hope his death was more dignified and less painful than his character's was in "The Town." RIP.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. verbalkint

verbalkint Member

Of course I'm biased, as the movie provided my member name here. But Postlethwaite (please amend the thread title to correct the name) delivered every single line in that movie perfectly:

"Because you have stolen from Mr. Soze, Mr Fenster. All of you. That you did not know you stole from him is the only reason you are still alive."

He didn't just steal scenes, he stole every moment in scenes, including the most remarkable moment in that entire movie. His work in that, The Town, and (on a larger scale) In the Name of the Father was always perfect, and the Spielberg compliment in the obits - ""probably the best actor in the world" - is wonderful. RIP.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Hell - I thought that was Jackie Earle Haley playing the florist when I first saw The Town.
    RIP.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

"Kill away, Mr. McManus"

RIP to a great character actor.

12. the fop

the fop Member

Great speech refusing the trophy at the end of Brassed Off. love when the other guy grabs the trophy anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted