1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP People's Park

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Jan 6, 2024.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Police clear Berkeley’s historic People’s Park in surprise midnight operation

Back in the day, the University of California Berkley bought some land to build housing for students. They bulldozed a residential area. While the land lay undeveloped for a spell, the hippies made it "the people's park" - planted flowers, hosted food giveaways - and there were riots when UC wanted to begin building...it became one of the landmarks of the FlowerPower era, with the Haight, Woodstock etc. 50 years later, same shit. Funny thing was, since then it was a place to score drugs or a homeless hangout - not really a place to take your kids or enjoy a spring day - a place most people avoided. So now UC is serious about building student housing and providing some homeless shelters - to give people a roof over their heads - and people are fighting that.
    Berkeley - we protest, no matter how silly our position is.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I am as blue as they come but sometimes more of this kind of stuff needs to be done.

People blocking a busy highway to the airport, like happened in Portland last week? Give them 5 minutes notice, then clear them the fuck out of the way, pronto. Your right to peaceful assembly and protest stops when it inconveniences others by blocking public streets.

A permitted protest march or demonstration is different. That's legal.

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Scoops!

5. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

I had a very memorable experience at People park around 1994. Stopped there to enjoy a take-out meal and it was a very interesting place. . . at least memorable enough that I can recall most of the details almost 30 years later.

6. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

"I never thought I'd be writing to you. But I was a student at an ACC university..."

Draft saved Draft deleted