1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Pearl Washington

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Apr 20, 2016.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Don't know about that. My impression is that Pearl loved to play and was immensely talented but didn't put in the hard work to make it as a pro. Basically the opposite of Tebow.
    Boeheim was just on ESPN. Was visibly distraught (at least as much as you can tell from him). Said there was a brain tumor many years ago that was diagnosed as benign but fairly recently returned.

2. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

Tebow could not throw / Washington could not shoot. He was a penetrater at a time when the NBA was still a big man's league.

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I was surprised to see that Pearl shot .452 from the field in his pro career and .526 in college. I would have guessed those numbers would have been much lower. Washing out in three seasons when you're shooting .452 as a PG? I'll have to look more closely at his numbers.

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Even though he wasn't blessed with speed, he could get past people seemingly at will and was an excellent finisher.

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Fair enough. I just feel like Pearl just thought hed get by on the skill he did have while Tebow worked his ass off but still couldn't cut it.

6. Earthman

It's fair to question whether Washington could have worked harder. He did pack on 30 lbs
    which cost him quickness and his ability to penetrate. Compare him to Michael Adams who came out around the same time. He had a better outside shot and ended up with a nice NBA career

BDC99 likes this.
  7. Earthman

Doubtful that most never catch this but it's Micheal Ray and not Michael Ray.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Necklace.

cjericho and BDC99 like this.
  9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Betcha Dwyane Wade nabs that shit every time.

Donny in his element likes this.
  10. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I watched the ESPN clip and they said Washington went back to school and got a degree. But that obit and his Wikipedia entry did not make mention of what he did after basketball. What was he doing the last 25 years?

11. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

True, but you can improve your shot with work. You can improve passing a little, but for a strong guy Tebow simply has a rag arm. Dropping some lbs probably would have helped Pearl's game in the NBA also.

12. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Kind of surprising that guy outlived Pearl. Wasn't he living out of his car for a while? Remember reading he was broke right after his career ended.

Draft saved Draft deleted