1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Pearl Washington

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Apr 20, 2016.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

He was a real disappointment as a pro, given the hype. But he always seemed to just have fun playing the game. I think the Nets got him to replace Michael Ray Richardson when the drug ban hit. I also believe they gave the Pearl pretty good money for a rookie contract in those days. Maybe the expectations were too much to live up to -- in some ways he was set up for failure as a pro. I could never tell if he didn't take it seriously enough and he was out of shape, or if he was just naturally pudgy and should have been able to play that way. Either way, RIP.

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

The weight definitely hurt him in the pros. He always had the pudgy sort of build, but in the NBA he started to look downright fat. It ain't easy defending NBA point guards where you're carrying extra flab.

Heavier players have a tendency to both peak and fade at earlier ages. And Pearl's a most dramatic example, dude peaked at around age 19.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Plenty of legends before him, but he built his reputation in Bed Stuy at a famous playground court called "the hole."

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Loved watching him play, and the Big East was so much fun to watch back then. RIP

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Thanks. I don't know why, but I thought Washington came around earlier than he did.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Pearl Jam ... Pearl Washington ... what's the third Pearl?

Donny in his element likes this.
  7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

The Syracuse-G-Town matchups back then in the Big East tournament were incredible. The shake and bake crossover from a pudgy dude just defied athletic norms. Didn't realize he had first been diagnosed with a brain tumor 21 years ago.

8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Earl the Pearl Monroe

9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

HanSenSE, Songbird and CD Boogie like this.
  10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

12. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

Pearl was the College Basketball version of Tebow. Both great college
    players with skill sets that did not translate to the pro game.

Draft saved Draft deleted