1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Peaches Geldof

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Apr 7, 2014.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Famous in her own right, but also, obviously, the daughter of Bob Geldof.

Dead at 25:

nyti.ms/1fXwL9P

A terrible Monday to be sure for her father.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

What kind of loser must I be, I have never heard of this woman before.

Am I the only one?

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I never have either.

Think YF might be yanking chains here.

4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Reading the article it appears she was famous in the UK in a Paris Hilton sort of way.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

She wrote a column for some mag that folded.

Anyway, I'll always have a soft spot for her dad and the Rats for making one of the great songs of any generation.

Trippy-ass video too.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2oeq4_boomtown-rats-up-all-night_music

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I've never heard of either one of them.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Bob Geldof was the organizer of Live Aid and the lead singer for The Boomtown Rats.

Peaches Geldof was England's answer to Nicole Ritchie.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Being Bob Geldof's daughter is fame enough.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Now aware of her existence, I am beside myself with grief.

10. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

No, Poin. You are not alone. I'd never heard of her, either (RIP though).

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

His marriage and divorce from Peaches' mother, Paula Yates -- herself a car wreck dropped from a tall building -- was bad seed enough; Geldof earned some blame for the suicide later of Yates' lover Michael Hutchence. But Live Aid was a cultural highlight of my life.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

LOL. Not at all.

She wasn't curing cancer, but she had achieved some level of fame on her own. And, while I could have just said, "RIP Bob Geldof's daughter," I didn't want to risk the same wrath that the New York Times received when they reported the death of "Mick Jagger's girlfriend."

She was famous as a "wild child" in the British tabloids as a teen, and her management company lists her accomplishments in their bio of her here:

http://www.insanitygroup.com/client/peaches-geldof1

And, sort of echoing what goalmouth said, as the founder of Band Aid and Live Aid, her father was a bit of a hero of mine from my youth.

I'm too young to remember the "Concert for Bangladesh" and to me, these were groundbreaking events. Geldof put the Ethiopian famine on the world stage, and it kicked of an age of social activism that continues today.

Without Geldof, Bono is likely not the same person, and much of his work goes undone.

All star recordings and concerts may not have been unprecedented at the time, but they were rare. Now, whether it's 9/11, Katrina, Sandy, or the Boston Marathon Bombing, it's the norm.

Sun City, Farm Aid and the 1988 Amnesty International Human Rights Now tour are a result of Geldof's efforts.

He's not a perfect person, but he's done a lot of good -- and was a pretty good rocker in his own right -- and I hate that he's having to suffer the loss of his daughter.

Draft saved Draft deleted