1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Paul Westphal

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, Jan 2, 2021.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I think the old, crusty AD at UCLA, whose name escapes me, had much to do with the basketball policy. UCLA was dominant and he wanted to keep it that way.

And don't forget the PCC/Pac-8 also had a no-repeat Rose Bowl policy too, so you could actually win or tie for the conference title and not play in a bowl if you went to the Rose Bowl the previous year. It kept OSU out of the 1958 Rose Bowl and probably impacted other teams as well. The one bowl team thing also hurt OSU in the late 1960s when they were a powerhouse but couldn't get by USC.

2. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

J.D. Morgan. Yep, he ran things with an iron fist.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

B1G had the same rule, which is why Michigan and tOSU were alternating in the Rose.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Westphal and those Suns teams were a lot of fun to watch in the mid Seventies.
    I had been too young to see much of Jerry West in his prime, he was starting to slow down by 1968-70 when I started to consistently watch the NBA, but some people said the young flashy Westphal reminded them a lot of prime time West.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I got the chance to see Westphal in his prime and he was damn smooth. Seemed like a great guy which made me disgusted at how the Sac players treated him.

Draft saved Draft deleted