1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Paul Westphal

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, Jan 2, 2021.

1. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

70?

Fuck, I’m getting old, too.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

177-69, 2 Pacific Division titles, trip to the Finals, 2 trips to West semis, all in his first 3 years.

Then fired.

Screen Shot 2021-01-02 at 4.22.01 PM.png

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The day after Game Five of the 1976 Finals, every playground court in Cambridge, Mass. had at least one kid trying to imitate Westphal's spin moves. RIP.

Hermes, maumann and FileNotFound like this.
  4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

5. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

We played against Aviation High. I thought this guy ain’t that good. Then saw the stats — 24 points, 12 assists. So smooth you didn’t notice him. Led USC to a 24-2 record. Both losses to UCLA. Trojans were probably the second-best team in the nation but weren’t able to go to the tournament. RIP, true superstar.

maumann likes this.
  6. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

RIP, Paul.

Back when each conference got only ONE bid to the tournament. And any idea, Chris, why USC didn't play in the NIT that year?

7. ChrisLong

I honestly don't remember. NIT was 16 teams, the westernmost was UTEP.

maumann likes this.
  8. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Found it. Apparently it was a Pac-8 rule, according to Wiki:

"The Pac-8 did not allow a second bowl team from the conference until the 1975 season; in basketball, participation in the National Invitation Tournament (NIT) was not allowed until 1973."

ChrisLong likes this.
  9. ChrisLong

I thought it was something like that, but I couldn't remember and couldn't find anything on a quick check. I knew about the football rule. Boy, and we think the administrators are stupid now.

10. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

In the late 80s I did a phone interview with Westphal. One of our local high school teachers was his first coach in junior high. I remember being surprised that I could just call an NBA team's office and be forwarded to an assistant coach. He was gracious and funny and gave time to a hack from the Podunk Press.

RIP.

11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

2020 ... man.

Oh wait.

HanSenSE likes this.
  12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

In the late 70s I called an NBA coach because a player from our local high school (Otis Howard), a fourth-round pick by Milwaukee, had been traded to Detroit.

"Yes, can I speak with coach Vitale, please?"

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    HanSenSE likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted