1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Paul Newman

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

An amazing scene from an amazing movie.

I remember first seeing The Sting as an 8-year-old. I didn't understand two-thirds of it, but I played the 8-track soundtrack to death and walked around flicking my nose with my finger like they did in the movie.

We knew this was coming, yet it doesn't make it any easier. RIP to a member of the short list of the Greatest Actors Ever, who -- I presume -- got the right amount of dynamite and that royal flush now.

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

a million "thank you's" wouldn't suffice. great man. great actor.

about 20 years ago, a buddy of mine was driving a cab in nyc. sure enough, picked up newman from a midtown hotel for an airport run.

they're chatting amicably, talking about this and that. get around to newman's favorite movie roles. he mentions "butch cassidy."

my friend, something of a movie buff, sheepishly admits he hasn't seen "butch and sundance." :-[ :-[

newman's jaw drops. he just couldn't believe it.

"if i didn't have this plane to catch," he says, "we'd be going right to a video store, larry."

two years ago, i rented "butch and sundance" myself to make sure larry saw it. think we'll be watching it again together soon, raising a beer to mr. newman. :'( :'( :'(

3. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Said it before, I'll say it again: He won the Oscar for a performance that wasn't one of his ten best, maybe not won of his 20 best. The Verdict is still my favorite--I told my buddy the first time we saw it that he was going to haul off and sucker Charlotte Rampling.

1. Frank Galvin
    2. Luke
    3. Fast Eddie the first time
    4. Reg
    5. Lew Harper (I'm a sucker for The Drowning Pool.)

YD&OHS, etc

4. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Don't rest in peace, Butch, go out shootin'.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

A look at the sporting side of him. Yeah yeah yeah, I'm a shill.

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/racing/index

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

A must for people on this thread:

Iconoclasts: Redford and Newman

Here's a snippet

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Jesus Christ, what a fucking nightmare.

It will always be an honour and a privilege to have had the chance to interview him about "Slap Shot" and Reggie Dunlop a year ago.

RIP, Paul Leonard Newman, 1925-2008. You'll be missed. :'(

8. HC

HC Well-Known Member

When's the book coming?

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Sorry, I asked that question. I'm on HC's laptop and forgot to log in under my name.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

To be released fall 2009, courtesy of John Wiley and Sons.

"They're playing it at 4 - don't miss it!"

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

"You don't leave much when you miss Fat Man."

We have been left much by Mr. Newman.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Clooney won't. He's already repeating himself, big time, and you get the impression that he just doesn't want to work that damn hard.

Draft saved Draft deleted