1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Paul Newman

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Sep 27, 2008.

1. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

"Was he asleep when you shot him?"

RIP

2. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Damn, damn, damn, damn, damn.

Just found out ten minutes ago when I woke up.

I'm not in a good mood now.

It goes without saying or explaining it: Newman was one of the greatest actors in Hollywood. Versatile, smart, understood how to perform the characters he was playing, and beyond all of that, he was the epitome of cool, calm, collective. Joanne and him were married for 50 years (50 years!), TMZ, Access Hollywood, and The Insider would never find him out on the town making an ass of himself, and he treated people with decency, in a world where most of our fellow human beings have forgotten how to do that.

He created another career as a businessman. Without a PR guy in his ear or any pressure, he gave all of his profits to charities to help kids. He didn't preach at anyone about his causes. He explain quietly why he was doing it and was geniune when he spoke. He didn't need a script to tell us how much he felt. Newman fell in love with racing, after doing "Winning." He appreciated the sport, cultivated a passion for it, and raced his own cars.

If there is to be a recurring theme as we bid adieu and thank Paul Newman this day, two words fit the mold of the man better than anything we can come up with:

A class act.

Our prayers, condolences, and heartfelt support to Joanne and their family.

3. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

RIP, Paul.

MSNBC just had someone on to talk about Paul and he ended with the infamous line: "Why go out for a hamburger when I can have steak at home."

Alex Witt replied "How sweet." My how times change.

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Whoever posted the 8-page story on him that was in, I believe, Vanity Fair, now would be a good time to re-post it for those of us too stupid to bookmark these things.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Is this it?

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/2008/09/newman200809

6. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

"How sweet." My generation is a joke and should take our collective asses to Blockbuster or flip on AMC and watch a day of Paul Newman as punishment and appreciation. "How sweet." I'm ashamed, and I would have given Paul free reign to kick me in the crotch.

7. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Yes, when Woodward objected to being called meat, even steak, he acknowledged publicly that it was a bad choice of words. Sometimes manning up is saying sorry.

8. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

This is a sad day for a lot of people: movie fans, racing fans and of course, charities.

Here's a classic example:
    ://www.google.com/reader/view/

It has Al and Bobby Unser, Parnelli Jones, Mario Andretti, Glenn Ford, Wilt Chamberlin and others.

We've lost a good man.

9. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Farewell to one of the actors who made it look easy.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Damn. You think you're ready when you know it's coming, then Goddamn when it hits.

RIP Paul. You were a legend among legends.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

So, Paul, wherever you are in the great beyond, any more failures to communicate?

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Damn, is that a bummer.

I just rewatched the Hustler the other day.

Here's hoping they underline the fuck scenes for you, Reg.

Draft saved Draft deleted