1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Paul Needell AKA Shockey

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 25, 2015.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Heck of a way to start the work week, losing another valued sj.com'er. RIP.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

3. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Off the board for a few days, returned to see this.

Had no idea who Shockey was, but not in the least bit surprised that he made such a positive impact in real life. He did it on this board, too.

Donny in his element likes this.
  4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Has a fund been established for his sons?

I don't know Shockey from Adam- but he has been in the stillness of my thoughts for the past week.
    Paul, may the road rise up.

Donny in his element likes this.
  5. AshyLarry

AshyLarry New Member

Terrible news. I always liked what shockey had to say.....RIP

6. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Was pleased to see his inclusion within the NFL Honors retrospective, which included Burwell and Stu Scott as well.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

That Herschel Walker story was great.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Damn, I'm sorry I missed this, but wish it hadn't happened to miss. One of the refreshing voices who hid nothing and wore his heart on his sleeve. He had lessons for us in making the most of life with what you've been dealt and of coping and moving on, while not leaving behind.

9. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Damn.. how did I miss this back in January?
    Didn't even know about it until Copperpot's farewell thread. This hits hard on several fronts. While Paul was working for Newhouse up at the Ledger I was an hour to the south working for Newhouse in Trenton. We talked about how the buyouts in '06 and '08 hurt a lot of good people and of the common people we knew in the field. I took the buyout in '08 and it was my last full-time gig in journalism. He survived that round of buyouts but succumbed to his health issues two years later. We also bonded on the MS-front as my brother is now in his early 40s and confined to a wheelchair due to MS, living in a nursing home. However we bonded heavily on music - especially Springsteen. We both ranked Thunder Road as our favorite Springsteen song, albeit for different reasons, and we both loved many of the same songs. I sent him bootleg CDs and DVDs of some of my favorite shows for him to enjoy. When Bruce closed down Giants Stadium we were going to meet at one of the shows, but unfortunately that meeting never materialized.
    I'll miss seeing him on here and chatting with him.
    Although it's late, RIP Paul.

Draft saved Draft deleted