1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Paul Needell AKA Shockey

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Starman, I think they were helping you read a newspaper when you were three.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Loved this man.

Heartbroken for his family and for his suffering....so incredibly grateful for his friendship. An extraordinarily special person.

No shortage of memorable shockey moments for me here and elsewhere, but I think this one will stay with me forever: He posted this last June, on the passing of Tony Gwynn....

....and I thought, "Heaven doesn't need you either."

How I wish that was true.

RIP, my friend.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

RIP Shockey. A SJ legend without doubt.

Donny in his element likes this.
  4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Boy so sorry to hear about Shockey; may his family find some comfort in this hard time. I unfortunately never had the opportunity to meet him but am better for reading his posts here at SJ.

5. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

I did not know him but from here. He was fantastic on here, open, honest and insightful.

He will be greatly missed.

RIP Paul.

6. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

RIP, shockey.

7. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I kind of got to know Shockey on this board over strange circumstances. We were going back and forth over something a reporter had done and he PMd me and said, "Are you OK, you're taking this one pretty hard?" and I PMd him back and told him the reporter in question was a close friend and he messaged me back and told me a story of a close friend of his who had made a mistake and how hard it was for him to watch. He also told me how much he respected me for defending my friend. He and I were completely cool after that.

All of the deaths here have been just brutal. Craig's hit me the hardest because it was so sudden but this one hits really hard as well...

RIP Paul.

8. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

It's so easy on an anonymous message board to get self-righteous and act less than gracious (Lord knows it's been a default for me a time or two), but Shockey never seemed to let the nonsense bother him. He always came off as a nice guy. From what I've heard on this thread, that was no accident.

RIP, Shockey.

Boom_70 likes this.
  9. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I didn't know Shockey well but we PMed a little and he always came across as one of the good guys. I just hope that his family is fine.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Awww, this is a terrible way to start the week. RIP.

11. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

So very sad. Way too young to go.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Damn. I read a lot of tributes today and had no idea it was Shockey. Just never fully connected the dots. But what a wonderful man. He added so much love and wisdom to this place.

Draft saved Draft deleted