1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Paul Keyes

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Moddy and a few others along here knew this gentleman. RIP.

Longtime VCU baseball coach Paul Keyes dies

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — VCU baseball coach Paul Keyes has died after six-month battle with cancer.
    The school says Keyes died Saturday afternoon. He was 50 and was diagnosed in April with Stage 4 melanoma.
    Keyes won 603 games in 18 years as the Rams' coach, the most in school history. The Rams went to the NCAA tournament eight times during his tenure, and won the Colonial Athletic Association title five times.
    The Rams sent 36 players into professional baseball after playing at VCU, including six that reached the major leagues.
    Interim coach Shawn Stiffler says Keyes' impact "will be felt for years to come because of the many lives he touched."

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Ah, shit.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

yeah. Cancer blows

4. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

Last time I interviewed Paul for a story on one of his players, he was in so much discomfort with his back that he could hardly stand up. It wasn't long after that that he was diagnosed with cancer.

It's a memory that brings a smile to my face today, though, because it illustrates perfectly the truly decent man he was. VCU had just gotten their butts kicked that day and he was obviously suffering, but instead of blowing off an interview request from an outlet that didn't regularly cover his team, he was gracious and gave me about 10 minutes of thoughtful answers.

RIP, Coach. Another terrific man gone way, way too young. :'(

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

No surprise - he made time. Granted, baseball coaches aren't as much in demand as their basketball (or other) counterparts but he made time.

My first (and only) full year as SE in Richmond, I totally blew their media availability before the NCAA tournament. Looked at the wrong week on my schedule. Thought I had two guys available. I had none. So I called over there, explained and he was on the phone with me within an hour.

My first (and only) full year working there, he was as agreeable and helpful as anyone I've been around and it wasn't a spectacular year on the field.

Excellent coach, as the record notes. But that hardly matters. Tremendous person, which is how we should all want to be remembered.

F cancer hard. Real hard. Days like this, though, make me wonder if it is a fight we just can't win.

Draft saved Draft deleted