1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Paul Harvey

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by buckweaver, Feb 28, 2009.

1. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I used to listen almost religiously. I can't remember a single one of his rants, but I sure as hell recall CIT-RI-CAL and Bose radios. To have him plugging your widgets must have been a gold mine.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Paul Harvey was a legendary broadcaster, but one best taken with a grain of salt.

When I heard his show in recent years it really was annoying to hear his son and other fill-ins try to imitate Harvey's unique style. Ugh.

3. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Joe Rossi, his coffee maker of choice was the Bunn-o-matic. Don't forget, when you take your coffee from the Bunn-o-matic, make sure it's in a brand-name Thermos (TM) container.

Even if he did play fast and loose with the facts, the man could tell a story. He made you listen. And if I ever grabbed readers the way he did, that's a nod to Mr. Harvey.

4. He had other fill-ins besides his son?
    I didn't even like his kid trying to repeat the old man's inflections and tone.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

They weren't distortions, falsehoods and nonsense just because you said they were. Maybe it creeped you out because you knew he was right and didn't want to admit it.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The bad, according to you.
    Maybe a few people thought it was mostly good with Mr. Harvey.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Didn't see that coming, at all.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It's been said, by many others: When it suited his mindset, Harvey never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Carry on.

9. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

He had other fill-ins besides his son?
    [/quote]

Doug Limerick did a bunch.

Draft saved Draft deleted