1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Paul Harvey

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by buckweaver, Feb 28, 2009.

1. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

And that's the end of the story.

2. wow!
    SORRY....
    I was eating cereal.

3. That is not what I go out that excerpt. Based on the clip, I not sure he even had a point, muchless a racist one... But, ok.

4. In my hometown, I got my haircut at on old barbershop. The barber had been cutting hair for 45 years in the same spot.
    This was in the early to mid-1990s... But he had the same old radio station on, an old country music station that never played anything beyond 1985. Hank Jr. and Alabama were considered new music on this station.
    Mostly it was Hank Sr., Patsy, Cash, Merle Haggard .. anyway... the station also carried Paul Harvey.
    I always enjoyed listening to his news and commentary.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I didn't notice anything different.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I liked the guy's broadcast, he was a true legend, but he'd go from talking about some obscure product to a puppy that ran back to its mother over 100 miles and then follow that up with a comment about shedding no tears for civilians in Iraq dying. It was just odd. He was a conservative, the kind of warm, homespun heartland-type that is hard to resist. I'm watching an interview he did with Larry King in 2003, its interesting stuff. He would have been a great baseball announcer or even a PA guy at a ball park.

7. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

My first college roommate was a hard-core horticulturist if you get my drift. But he loved listening to Paul Harvey. Thought he was the greatest news guy...not to mention that his show was on at noon and 6 on his rock station. I listened to him and I thought at times he's go off on some subject and my college roommate and I both swore he sounded stoned. Since my roommate was an authority on that kind of subject, I thought it sounded reasonable.

But overall, I thought Paul Harvey was at his best when he was mocking the absurd of our world.

8. KG

KG Active Member

I remember always listening to Harvey on the way home from church every Sunday. His voice always reminded me of more simple times. RIP good fella.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

and now the rest of the story- Paul Harvey was a transvestite, originally born as Ester Rosenzweig from Brooklyn, NY. She was raised in a strict Hasidic family and left home at age 17 and joined the Navy. While in the Navy and she came to grips with her condition and at age 20 went through the change and became Paul Harvey. Discharged from the Navy and looking for work he took a job at a small Iowa radio station reading commercials. The hormones he had taken gave him the rich baritone sound that would become one of the more famous voices in radio.

And that's the rest of the story. Good Day !

10. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Paul Harvey has always reminded me of my childhood... He was ALWAYS on when I went home for lunch in elementary school. Peanut butter and Jelly, Mac and Cheese and Paul Harvey on WHBL in Sheboygan...

Good day...

11. micke77

micke77 Member

I loved his voice. When he would do that damn pause....and then finish up with a line that just flat-out left you thinking, "hell if I'm turning the dial now, I gotta hear the rest of this story."
    truly one of the all-time best radio voices.

12. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Grew up hearing him on WITL ("Whittle" 100, Lansing's #1 Country Station) on the bus to school. Always interesting. Never detected the conservatism or subtle discomfort with certain elements until I was a lot older. I guess he played to his crowd.

Draft saved Draft deleted