1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Paul Harvey

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by buckweaver, Feb 28, 2009.

1. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Re: And now we know ... the rest of his story (RIP Paul Harvey)

Paul Harvey had a common sense approach to news.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Re: And now we know ... the rest of his story (RIP Paul Harvey)

Grew up with him, of course. Loved the cadence, loved the delivery, loved much of the lovingly-isolated odd facts. Grew not to like some of what D_O pointed out, and didn't like some of the "odd facts" which frequently sought to give unsubtle boosts to the
    Creationists' cause.

Drifted away in my twenties, but if he popped up on my car radio, I wouldn't tune him out.

One of the great twentieth-century media voices out of the Midwest, despite his flaws.

As with everyone else, you had to take the good, and leave the bad.

3. I OK listened to that ... twice ... what was even quasi-racist about it? We died build up the country on the backs of slaves and infected Indians with small pox-infected blankets. and dropped and atom bomb ...
    Was he supposed to apologize for those atrocities?
    Not one of his better clips - I'll give you that - but I would hardly call the man a quasi-racist.
    But (seriously) thanks for posting that clip.

Also thanks Buck,
    While I did not know that .. I can't say I'm surprised.
    It was interesting ...

4. Chef

Chef Active Member

Orville: Did you happen to type the above post with your balls?

5. When I travel for work, and I'm driving through some town or another where I've never been before, I always listened to Paul Harvey. I have no idea why.

6. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

His mix of distortions, falsehoods and folksy right wing nonsense creeped me out so much that I couldn't hit an alternate preset fast enough when he came on. That said, RIP.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

RIP to an American legend.

My grandparents were huge fans of his. Always stopped to listen to The Rest of the Story.

Damn. That sucks. But 90 and still going at the end. That's a helluva life.

8. Heaven needed to know The. Rest. Of. The. Story.

9. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Paul was a patriot, and wanted for the U.S. to be strong and to stand tall.
    As opposed to all the political correctness that's dumbed us down so many notches in the past 50 years or so.

He hated welfare systems that became abused and outdated. He hated seeing people take but not give.
    He was the type that believed in "an eye for an eye" and he struggled with the warts on this country's initial 240 years.
    He saw so much promise in this nation for so long, but felt we slipped a good bit in recent years from what we ought to have been.

That's my take on what he was trying to say in that You Tube vid that was posted.

10. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

As a young lad growing up on the Canadian prairies in the early pre-Beatles 60's I can tell you all that Paul Harvey, Garner Ted Armstrong and Walter Cronkite were the voices that represented the mysterious, not yet visited place that was the United States. Their broadcasts, along with the occasional JFK sound byte, seemed to suggest a vastly superior race living to the south and I couldn't wait to get there to see for myself.
    Also I'll never forget "Jimmie Fidler in Hollywood reporting. So long for now."

11. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

I can't believe he was making $10mm/year. In radio. That's a lot of Neutrogena.

12. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Let's break this down:

Premise 1: Back in the WWII days Americans were badasses because we dropped The Bomb.

Premise 2: Now we're pussies because we acknowledge the unconscionable treatment of indians and blacks.

Conclusion: The mere acknowledgement of our history of racism in this country hastens the overthrow of our nation.

Not only is this racist but it makes no logical sense. Good day.

Draft saved Draft deleted