1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Paul Harvey

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by buckweaver, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Growing up, I spent a lot of summers at my grandparents' house. Every day at 12:30 p.m., we listened to Paul Harvey's news on one of the AM stations. Every day at 3:30 p.m., we'd listen to "The Rest of the Story."

Hearing Harvey's voice always made me think of those days with my grandparents. I'll miss it.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Sad, sad news. Among other things, Paul Harvey was a hell of a writer. Broadcast writing is an odd form, and he was very good at it.

Just lost his wife last year. Can't imagine how much that took out of him.

He had a mansion in the Biltmore Estates in Phoenix. A rather silly news director once sent me there to knock on his door and ask him if he wouldn't mind sitting down for a one-on-one interview, since it was the last day of book and the news director thought it might give us a bump in the ratings. I rang the bell at his gate. No one answered, but the gardener stared at me like I was crazy.

RIP.

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

He read about 10 lines of one of my stories once. One of his longtime friends from when he was a teenager lived in the area and he'd always send Paul interesting stories. The reader was also one of those old guys who'd call up the paper 10 times a week, sometimes to rant, sometimes to talk about the Vikings, sometimes to suggest a story. So he called one day at like 10 a.m. and said to turn on Paul Harvey because one of my stories would be mentioned. Paul didn't mention my name but he did read from the story - a small school in our area had a kid who was the No. 1 ranked wrestler in the nation in his class and a girl who was the No. 1 ranked volleyball setter in the country - and then summarized it in his own words. It was really cool. Still have the tape somewhere.

4. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Inky, your thoughts pretty much summed up how I will remember Paul Harvey. When I was in preschool, I would ride around with my grandparents and they would have the radio on, glued to The Rest of the Story. I kept wondering when will the rest of the story will come up.

And yes, I still listened to Paul Harvey as late as 2006, before the station I was listening to dropped him for garbage babble.

A true radio man and one of the last of the radio greats.

Good night dear sir.

5. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

And now.

Page two.

RIP

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

macular degeneration must have gotten him

7. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Rest in Peace, Mr. Paul Harvey.
    You were and are a media legend.
    A sound voice for anyone who chose to listen.
    Never met you, but wish I had.

8. A familiar a voice as Vin Scully
    An American Icon and unique piece of Americana.
    The man was an institution. When he advetised or endorsed something - Bose radio, I took it as gospel.
    He will be greatly missed.
    90... Good Day Paul.

9. Re: And now we know ... the rest of his story (RIP Paul Harvey)

Never noticed, Can you elaborate?

10. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

When my 6:30 a.m. alarm went off in high school, Harvey was always on.

Good morning Americans! It's ... Friday!

RIP. What was that coffee maker he shilled for all the time?

11. Colton

Colton Active Member

What you said, Blitz.

RIP, Mr. Harvey...

12. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Reminds me of being a kid, too.

Oh, well. We should all be fortunate enough to live so long.

Draft saved Draft deleted