1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Paul Campbell

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, Aug 5, 2010.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Just posted on AP Sports Editors, but here's the link: http://apsportseditors.org/uncategorized/riversides-campbell-dies-in-accident/

Paul Campbell, a 32-year veteran of Riverside, was killed in a pedestrian accident. Big loss for the Riverside area, obviously... wore many hats over the years.

2. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

I was wondering when or if someone would post this. Thanks for this, Steveu.

I worked with Paul at the dawn of my career, when I worked part-time at the P-E. He was one of those copy editors who always had time for you. After establishing myself as the top part-timer there, I got frustrated at not getting hired full-time. Paul went through the same thing and always had a positive thing to say.

Plus, he was one of those copy editors who would edit copy based on the copy -- not the byline. A few of his counterparts did the opposite; they'd make changes for the sake of making changes on part-timer's copy. I always liked when Paul would edit one of my stories because the changes he made needed to be made and he would tell me WHY he made those changes.

Evan Tuchinsky, who worked with us at the P-E and was good friends with Paul, wrote a nice tribute that describes Paul rather well.

http://www.paradisepost.com/opinion/ci_15661543

RIP Paul from one person who appreciated what you brought to the table. You were one of a kind.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Out here in SoCal and heard about this last night from a former co-worker of mine in San Bernardino who's now at the P-E. Just tragic. RIP.

Draft saved Draft deleted