1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, Paul Blair

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by nattering nabob, Dec 26, 2013.

1. One of greatest defensive center fielders ever. Eight Gold Gloves. He was 69.

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2013/12/former-orioles-center-fielder-paul-blair-dies.html

2. Colton

Colton Active Member

He always seemed to glide on his path to the baseball. A terrific center fielder.

RIP...

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Helped those formidable Orioles pitching staffs by running down everything.

[​IMG]

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I do believe I formed my vision of smooth defensive center fielders through Paul Blair.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The Andruw Jones of his day, at least as a defender. RIP.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

I had a Paul Blair glove. I couldn't catch a cold with it but, it was mine. RIP.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

What an amazing fielder. He was the fourth outfielder for the Yankees when I was first falling in love with baseball. Rizzuto and Bill White and Frank Messer (etc.) used to make such a big deal out of how good a centerfielder he was -- and he really did get an incredible jump on the ball off the bat and seem to be able to track down anything. Lost a bit maybe is that even though he wasn't a terror at the plate, he was one of those players who seemed to do his best work as a batter in the postseason -- he was really good in the '77 and '78 World Series. He definitely gets my not-so-obligatory RIP. He was part of my childhood. RIP.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

According to the stories coming out this morning, Blair collapsed during a celebrity bowling tournament.

He's now the second former Oriole of that era to die during a celebrity event. Earl Weaver collapsed and died during the Orioles fantasy cruise last year.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Bowling and cruises can be dangerous to your health. Hard to believe Blair was that old. I saw him play live.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I did too ... and I played second base.

11. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Man, I hated those great Oriole teams, simply because they were better than some pretty good Tigers teams. Ah, the logic of an elementary-school baseball fan....

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The thing about Blair, to me, was he played so damn shallow in center field. He dared you to hit it over his head. He was so aggressive.

The managers got it right on his eight Gold Gloves. He's second all-time to Andruw Jones (ahead of Willie Mays), in defensive WAR among outfielders.

Draft saved Draft deleted