1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Patrick Swayze

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Care Bear, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Hopefully he and Chris Farley are having a dance-off in the clouds.

RIP, Derek Sutton.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

So very sad and unavoidable, but it sounds like he fought an unwinnable battle with grace and courage.

No one will argue his movies were high art, but if you're a certain age, the Outsiders-Red Dawn-Dirty Dancing was an unmatched triumvirate. Then he went and topped himself with Ghost.

Wolverines.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

One more time: WOLVERINES!

RIP to a great actor.

EDIT: BYH beat me to it.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Just a gratuitous violence/cheesy humor thing. Kind of like Steven Seagal movies. I actually caught Roadhouse on TV last week and forgot how much I liked it at the time.

RIP, Patrick.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

In his defense, he was always playing the ex-high school jock whose younger brothers were still in school in those movies. But yeah, he was a little old.

Not as bad as Ralph Macchio playing Daniel Larusso at age 26, though.

6. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

Black Dog is my favorite of Swayze's schlock flicks. As for his better films, The Outsiders is great and I've always felt that Grandview U.S.A. is underrated.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Ask the three young construction workers who rescued him in Arizona when he landed his plane -- drunk off his ass -- in the middle of a neighborhood under construction just how "great a guy" Patrick Swayze was. The way he treated them in the aftermath of all that was downright criminal.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Let's not forget Next of Kin.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

My favorite "Roadhouse" moment ...

When I was playing high school football, guys on the team would always bring in those NFL Films "Crunch Course" videos for us to watch in the hours leading up to home games to "get fired up."

One guy's NFL tape had "Roadhouse" taped onto the end of it. After pre-game meal one week, we were watching it and of course, everyone wanted to fast-forward to the Swayze-Kelly Lynch sex scene.

Right in the middle of that scene, naturally, one of the coaches burst into the room. The guy with the remote panicked, started hitting fast-forward and cried out "we're tryin' to find some fightin' in this movie!!!!"

Can't see Roadhouse without thinking of that ...

10. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

And yet his best work was dancing next to Chris Farley.

11. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

I'm sure even the three construction workers wouldn't have wished pancreatic cancer on him.

12. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

R.I.P. Always been a fan of Swayze.

Draft saved Draft deleted