1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Patricia Neal

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Aug 9, 2010.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Academy Award winning actress and an Academy Award nominee AFTER having a debilitating stroke.
    A truly amazing woman.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/09/movies/09neal.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

2. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

One of my personal heroes. God speed, Patricia Neal.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Active Member

RIP. Great actress.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Active Member

How it is possible that the NYT obit doesn't mention The Day The Earth Stood Still? What the fuck?

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Check out A Face In the Crowd. A great movie that could be released today and not lose any of its punch. It might actually hit harder. And you will never think of Andy Griffith the same way again.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

That is one hell of a life's story. RIP.

7. JR

JR Active Member

Saw Hud when it was first released in '63. Fell in love with her the first time she spoke.

Tumultuous marriage with Roald Dahl. Loved this quote from during her rehab period:

She learned to read again. When Ms. Neal could not understand a Beatrix Potter book she was reading to her son, her husband told her not to mind because “The Tale of Pigling Bland” was “Potter’s toughest book.”

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Damn right. I watch some YouTube clips of that last night. Still stunningly powerful. And she's hot as hell.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Wow never realized what a tragic but inspiring life she lived.

She was in one of my favorite John Wayne WW II movies - In Harms Way- playing role of Maggie Haynes.

RIP

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Gotta go with Boom on In Harm's Way. Outstanding performance. I didn't know that she was impregnated by Gary Cooper and had an abortion. Wow.
    RIP

11. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

In Harm's Way is my all-time favorite movie. Patricia Neal and John Wayne were perfect together. They were nearly as good together in Operation Pacific.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Friend of a friend's aunt was her college roommate.

Godspeed.

Draft saved Draft deleted