1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP PAT?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Is that Dr. V?

2. Morris816

Morris816 Member

First of all, the "safety of the game" talk is nonsense. The changes to the kickoff game came a season after there were multiple instances of players getting seriously hurt during kickoff returns, often head and neck injuries. And the reason that happened was because the kicking team had players sprinting down the field, being met by players who were running right at them.

That does not happen during PATs. I can't recall one instance of a head or neck injury on a PAT attempt. So let's drop the "safety of the game" talk, because it just isn't there with those plays.

Now, if we want to talk about making the game more interesting for fans, I have no problem with that. Moving the PAT attempt back a few yards is one way. So is requiring teams to run or pass for the extra point... perhaps changing it up so running is one point and passing is two. Or just make it two points and force teams to think more carefully about kicking field goals.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

So, Goodell wants to eliminate PATs, a generally low-impact play on which at least half the players do nothing more than leave their stance, in the name of safety and reducing dangerous collisions.
    At the same time, his solution is to create a system that encourages teams to go for two with regular high-impact goal line plays, thereby creating more opportunity for dangerous collisions and injuries. And he's a relentless advocate for an 18-game schedule that would accomplish the same effect.
    This league ...

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think the hypcricy of the 18-game season should certainly be pointed out, but how does the new proposal encourage two-point conversions any more than the current system does?

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I wonder what Navaro Bowman thinks of the idea.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

See, at the risk of sounding like an old blowhard, I don't even need that. Same way I feel about baseball.

Need an adrenaline fix every 10 seconds? Find your nearest NBA arena.

Football has a rhythm. The extra-point kick, the "voila" on top of the "boom." It would not be the same without it.

7. Dick Whitman

The brain damage that allegedly contributed to the deaths of Dave Duerson and others was cumulative.

8. Dick Whitman

Yeah, exactly what I was saying. I think it's more a part of the experience of a football game than people realize.

9. jr/shotglass

It's NaVorro Bowman. You're going to speel something right in yore lifetime. ;)

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Sometime you have to get the idea out there before someone else beats
    ya to it and correct later.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The league has always sought to change rules to help offenses. The funny thing though, by opening up the passing game through rule changes, they ended up exposing quarterbacks and receivers to more hits.

12. jr/shotglass

And people bitch at me when I edit my posts. There's why ...

Draft saved Draft deleted