1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP PAT?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Wonders what the fuss is about

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It's a PAT, not a bunch of pick plays over the middle.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yeah, but this isn't about if it actually accomplishes anything. It's about the NFL looking like it is trying to do something. And here, it comes attached to almost zero effect on the integrity of the competition.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Watch a PAT snap get bungled in the Super Bowl now that Goodell floated this idea -- one that affects the spread.

5. joe

joe Active Member

I wonder what Vegas bookmakers think of this idea.

6. MileHigh

Accomplish what? Fewer injuries? I've got the perfect idea that will cut down on injuries and concussions completely. It will make everyone safer, get rid of future lawsuits, everything.

Get rid of the game.

7. Dick Whitman

It feels like there might be less drastic measures available.

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Or a hold. Ask Tony Romo.

9. MileHigh

Well, where does it stop? A vast majority of injuries occur on kickoffs. Let's just start every drive on the 25. Punts? Everything has to be a fair catch.

It's football. Players wear pads and helmets for a reason. There's hitting and tackling. It's what you sign up for. But we're now reaching the point that the freakin' PAT falls under a "safety" issue. Ridiculous.

10. Dick Whitman

Where does it stop? I don't know. But I'm pretty confident in mankind's ability to evaluate both the PAT and the kickoff as individual events, independent of one another. I simply disagree that in order to preserve the sanctity of the punt return, we must not eliminate the extra point.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

12. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

I had a Facebook brain flash and went looking for the "like" link after reading this.

Draft saved Draft deleted