1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP PAT?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Thoughts? A good PR move with little down side, I think, though it would be strange not to have it. Also, at the high school level, they can be an adventure.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24415126/roger-goodell-nfl-considering-proposal-to-eliminate-extra-points

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Gotta have that extra 40 seconds to squeeze in more commercials.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Would they get rid of field goals of less than 20 yards as well? Because those are the same distance or closer than a PAT.

And Dick's right about high school. I've covered teams that go for two every time because they don't have anyone that can kick a PAT.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Eliminating the PAT would not affect commercials at all. With the mandatory replay of all touchdowns, you still have the sequence touchdown-commercial-return for official's announcement of replay-commercial.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If you want to make all TDs 7 points with an option for an eighth point, fine. But don't make subtracting points an option too. This isn't the XFL.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That would not only defeat the purpose, it would compound the issue being addressed.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Just move it back 10 yards.

8. champ_kind

champ_kind Well-Known Member

coaches have a hard enough time with math with the straightforward system in place now. adding variables might cause someone's head to explode.

9. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

Does Goodell just sit around, bored and constipated, thinking to himself: What else can I fuck with in this billion dollar cash cow?

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Here is a sport dealing with an increasingly real existential threat that it has become too dangerous to play in its present form. So the Commissioner, bold thinker that he is, is fussing with the extra point. Goodell is really getting to a stage where he's making Gary Bettman look, well, not that bad.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The PAT is stupid, but it's even more stupid to take it away at this point.

Maybe they'll make it like a carnival game where you get one point if it goes through, but additional points if you hit hanging targets in between the goalposts.

I'd love the PAT to be a 40-yard kick. The majority of those would be made, but it's far enough where there is some question and it might be enough to make the defense actually try to block it.

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I like the XFL comparison.
    He Hate Me just put down that box of pop tarts and ran 5 extra miles.

Draft saved Draft deleted