1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Pat Summerall

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NDJournalist, Apr 16, 2013.

1. joe

joe Active Member

I'm a huge Jack Buck fan, but his last two years on the radio were pretty brutal. There's no way KMOX every would have replaced him, though. Fans, and maybe the Cardinals themselves, would have pitched a fit.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

RIP.

Summerall and Al Michaels were similar is that they both knew when to step back and let Madden do his stuff. Recall, too, that Madden was also paired with Vin Scully for a while.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Wrong "Whizzer."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilford_%22Whizzer%22_White

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

He did golf too?

Cripes, he did something like 26 Masters.

Yeah ... he did golf.

5. gators85

gators85 New Member

There's so much history with Pat Summerall. This 2006 interview with him on his book is a great overview of his life:

http://www.cyinterview.com/2013/04/cyinterview-mourns-the-loss-of-sports-legend-pat-summerall-read-and-listen-to-his-2006-conversation-with-us-learn-about-his-life-on-the-nfl-gridiron-and-in-the-sports-broadcasting-booth/

His book is a must real for any true sports historian.

6. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

Nice guy in person as well....back in the day when I was in the biz. He had just been let go by Fox the previous year. He was alone, watching the game from the press portion of the box as a special guest, just down from me. It was about 1 1/2 hours before kickoff. Not a whole lot of attention was given him. I told him games on Sunday hadn't been the same since he left. He thanked me and said "I wish Sundays were a little different too, and I'm not sure I like the way they are heading now."

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It hasn't really been mentioned here yet, but he also played for the Cardinals and Giants, and made one of the biggest kicks in NFL history against the Browns in '58. Without that kick (which was supposedly 49 yards, but the yardmarkers weren't very clear because of snow and mud) , there wouldn't have been a Greatest Game Ever Played. Or if it was, it would have been Browns/Colts.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I don't watch much golf. Sue me.

9. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

What always impessed me about Summerall was his lack of visible on-air ego. He was always willing to stay quiet and let Madden do his thing. Not many announcers have the ability to subliminate themselves.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I knew he was in poor health. Still, a sad day for broadcasting.

CBS/Augusta actually used his voiced intro a year or two ago for their open.

The stories I heard about him and Brookshier during the Sun Bowls they did together......all the times they would cross the border to Juarez.....get shit-hammered drunk then back to El Paso the morning of the game......legendary.

RIP Sir.

11. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

For the entire '77 Sun Bowl when Stanford beat LSU, Burt Freaking Reynolds joined Brookshier and Summerall in the booth. Wish I was old enough to have have seen it live. I wonder if he joined them in Juarez??

I remember the summer of '04, Summerall briefly came out of retirement to call preseason NFL games for ESPN. This was during the depths of ESPN's existence under Mark Shapiro, the genius who brought you Brian Dennehy as Bob Knight and Access Hollywood-esque shows hosted by Mario Lopez. They did however manage a cool promotion - "SportsCenter Old School" -- where Gail Gardner, Greg Gumbel and a few other old friends came back and co-hosted the show. Summerall, obviously slipping a bit but still carrying the load while Theismann and Maguire filled the airwaves with hot air, plugged the upcoming promotion.

"Stay tuned for SportsCenter Old SCHOOL," he said, emphasizing the SCHOOL. Priceless.

12. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

I like how he let moments speak for themselves. I remember his final Super Bowl, Pats-Rams, and his simple call at the end, without raising his voice: "And it's right down the pipes," as the ball left Vinatieri's foot.

Draft saved Draft deleted