1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Pat Summerall

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NDJournalist, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Awesome.

Summerrall was so understated, he was the only announcer whose canned Madden voice sounded like he was doing your video game live. That's a good thing. "First down, Cowboys."

2. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Somebody once said he voice was so good, during promos, he pronounced the comma in "Murder, She Wrote'"

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

First time Summerall and Madden were together, 1979. They weren't regular partners until two years later:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I65mWbG5f9o#!

Summerall and Tom Brookshier on the opener of "This Week in Football," 1970:

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Forgot he was also the announcer in the Super Bowl in "Black Sunday." Imagine now, a major corporation (Goodyear) and the NFL allowing its products to be used in a movie about a terrorist attack on a sporting event.

5. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

RIP to a media icon.

6. dieditor

dieditor Member

Very well done. I used to love hearing Summerall in his later years at Fox trying to promote whatever crappy show the network had on after The Simpsons. "Stay tuned for The Simpsons and an all new 'Greg the Bunny.'" Yikes.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Not only an iconic football voice but also fantastic in golf and the U.S. Open. But Sundays were great with him and Madden, arguably the best football announcing duo of all time. Great voice. Understated but into the game.

And the 7 p.m. EDT promo was great

Tonight on CBS it's 60 Minutes followed by Murder ....................... She Wrote.

RIP to broadcasting legend.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

RIP

Well played.

I can still hear him say "Montana to Rice."

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

As was mentioned, a great broadcaster who hung around too long.

I was watching a Bears-Bucs game Summerall was broadcasting a decade or so ago. At one point, Fox had just come back from a commercial and on the first play, the Bucs scored a TD (I think it was Mike Alstott). Well, there was silence before the play and after it as well. About 10 seconds after (which seems like a lifetime on a live broadcast), Summerall bellows, "Something happened!" My brother and I looked at each other and just started cracking up.

I tell this story because I got a text about an hour ago from that brother. It read, "Someone" died. I knew exactly what it meant.

RIP, Pat.

10. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

Fuck it, I'm 25, the guy was probably overcooked by the time I got really into football, but I still LOVED him and Madden together. I'm still bitter Madden left when he did. Icons of my childhood.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

he was everything positive described here. i grew up in '50 and '70s with pat/brookshier and then through the summerall/madden years. always a gentleman to me.

for those complaining 'he stayed around too long,' i say back off. the legendary voices get to stick around as ong as they'd like. they've earned th right. most get the message when they're bumped down in the network rotation: if it takes a year or two for tem to get the message, so be it. they deserve our patience and kindness.

r.i.p. to the voice heaven will gladly hand its microphone to....

Draft saved Draft deleted