1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Pat Hingle

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Jan 5, 2009.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

One of the all-time character actors. I'll never forget him from The Grifters. Here was this guy I was used to seeing being kindly and gruff, just being ruthless. A heck of a career.

[​IMG]

Pat Hingle, the veteran actor with more than half a century of impressive work in theater, film and television who was perhaps best known to a generation of movie fans as Commissioner James Gordon in the first four "Batman" films, has died. He was 84.

Hingle died Saturday night of myelodysplasia, a type of blood cancer, at his home in Carolina Beach, N.C., according to Lynn Heritage, a cousin who was acting as a spokesperson for the family.

He wasn't a household name, but his solid, broad, hang-dog screen face became a household image. On film, he worked with stars ranging from Clint Eastwood to the Muppets. He was Sally Field's father in "Norma Rae" and Warren Beatty's in "Splendor in the Grass." He played the bartender who needles Marlon Brando about his former prize-fight style in "On the Waterfront," and he was the sadistic crime boss who terrorizes Anjelica Huston with a bag of oranges in "The Grifters."

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Good actor. RIP.

3. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

One of the better character actors. RIP.

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Worked with Eastwood in three decades: Hang 'Em High, The Gauntlet and Sudden Impact. Great screen presence.

5. Saw him on Broadway as Ben Franklin in the revival of 1776.
    Did a fine job, too.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Great death scene in Norma Rae

7. Good get.
    Lot of good supporting performances in that one.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Loved him in Sudden Impact. RIP

9. Every time you saw him, big screen or small screen, he was "that guy." Nobody played bluster better. RIP.

10. Colonel Angus

Colonel Angus Member

Can't believe he wasn't brought up in the Best Character Actors thread.

I guess that's the mark of the truly great character actors -- you don't really even notice them or know their names, but when they pass away or otherwise make news you say, "Wow -- he was that guy who played ..."

11. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Always remember him from episodes of M*A*S*H and Magnum P.I. for some reason. But the man certainly didn't have trouble finding work (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0385757/) - forgot he was in a Twlight Zone, too. R.I.P.

12. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I've seen Hingle in so many things, I can't even pin down which role I remember him most in.

I'd probably have to say the most memorable to me, is his guest turn in M*A*S*H where he played
    Daniel Webster Tucker, a supposedly hardass colonel who, as it turns out, was invited over by Col. Potter to play an elaborate April Fool's Prank.

He was also good as the will executor in "Brewster's Millions"

Draft saved Draft deleted