1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Pat Dye

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jun 1, 2020.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

He's the Auburn I came of age with.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My brother-in-law was a football coach at a small school in North Carolina MANY years ago. He had one player, name escapes me, who was a pretty big deal. Dye came to town for a recruiting visit and my sister basically fell in love with him. Could not stop talking about how charming he was, etc.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

He'll always be "Tie" Dye to me.

5. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

He gave Bo the ball.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Last coach in the Bama/Barner duo that this Vol fan had respect for. #RIPTIEDYE

7. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

I covered the Florida-Auburn game in 1985
    Bo Jackson played one play in the second half
    The word was he was nicked up and had an agreement with Dye not to jeopardize his NFL chances
    The Gators won 14-10 behind Neal Anderson, who also was nicked up but played
    John Adams, who was with Jacksonville at the time, wrote: “Bo Jackson might win the Heisman Trophy but he’ll never win The Red Badge of Courage.”

8. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Got him to pick Auburn. Wasn't it that starting him as a freshman played a big part in
    him choosing Auburn?

Draft saved Draft deleted