1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Pascual Perez

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Reportedly stabbed to death in a robbery in his home in the Dominican Republic. He was 55.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Now 285 really is the Pascual Perez Memorial Parkway. Damn. RIP.
  3. Steak Snabler

Well, we know Champ Summers (RIP) didn't kill him, though he once tried to:

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Holy shit! That whole phenomenon in Atlanta was a huge part of my youth.

Can never forget the I-285 episode (and the ensuing nickname "Perimeter" Perez), and that giant fight with the Padres, when Bob Horner, who was out with one of his many wrist injuries, came out of the dugout to stop Champ Summers from going after Perez. Horner had come down from the press box when everyone started throwing at everyone else just in case there was trouble.

Perez was a trip without luggage, often silly, always fun. The kind of player you loved to root for, even when he did stupid stuff. We'll miss you, Paco.
  5. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

A Brave of my youth. RIP.
  6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Best baseball fight ever.
  7. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

RIP. First thing I thought of was the 285 fiasco.
  8. Steak Snabler

I was 9 years old when Perez burst onto the scene in Atlanta. He's probably the first real baseball "phenom" I remember, along with Darryl Strawberry. The first three or four times I saw him pitch, I thought Skip Caray and Pete Van Wieren were calling him "Fastball" Perez.
  9. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

Never seen that. One of the craziest fights in MLB history, and that's saying something.
  10. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Before there were the Martinez brothers, there were the lesser successful Perez brothers. Both Pascual and Melido had the potential to have formidable careers.

Wasn't he part of a combined no-hitter? Topps printed his 1982 baseball card without a position, and I think that's still the most valuable error card of the set.

11. That was awesome!
  12. Drip

Drip Active Member

RIP. He was a great interview.
Draft saved Draft deleted