1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Orlando Woolridge

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Uncle.Ruckus, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Woolridge was one of the first stars I remember watching when I started to follow college basketball, and there were bunches of them at the time that I followed into the NBA: Bird and Magic, of course, but also Moncrief, Tripucka, Blackman, Spanarkel and Gminski (before Duke became Dook), Griffith, Ainge, and lesser-known ones like Vinnie Johnson (Baylor) and Ricky Pierce (Rice). Kind of my golden age.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The '86 Celtics were a pretty good team.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I remember the Notre Dame pa guy would always pronounce it "Orlano Woooooooooooooooooolridge."

RIP

4. joe

joe Active Member

Reminds me of a time when DePaul was a power under Ray Meyer, with stars like Mark Aguirre and Terry Cummings. As a grade-schooler, early teen, I was flat-out in love with college basketball back then. Hell, that lasted all through college, too. These days, unless it's alma mater, I watch very little.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Jordan scored 63 on seven white guys, D.J. and Parrish.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

7. Offense? Postseason? Sure as hell not today, where a 101-96 game is considered "high scoring."

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Me too. I think that ND guy may've been the first basketball PA "performer" I can remember. It was cool when he did it, but would soon grow obnoxious and annoying when all those NBA schmucks were trying to outdo each other.

Digger Phelps really had a load of talent on his roster at that time--Woolridge, Tripucka, Laimbeer, Hanzlik, Joe Kleine (pre-transfer) Duck Williams, John Paxson. etc. But you didn't really realize it at the time because, except for O, they were mostly unimpressive looking white guys. It was only years later when all those guys were succeeding in the NBA that you realized "wow, those ND teams were frickin loaded."

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

In honor of his departed daddy, I present Swiperboy:

(Swiperboy graduated this month but has a year of eligibility remaining, so he's transferred to USC next season.)

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

The best PA announcer of all time. The Zink!!!!!!

11. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

I'm not even a 76ers fan and I loved that call.

12. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

You are forgetting Austin Carr.

Draft saved Draft deleted