1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Orlando Woolridge

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Uncle.Ruckus, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

He was 52.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/chi-former-bull-orlando-woolridge-dies-20120601,0,4520530.story

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Damn. He was on several of my fantasy basketball rosters back in the day. None of the really good ones, but still ...

3. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

I remember him from back in the day. RIP.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I loved Orlando Woolridge as a player. Way too young to go. Am thinking he had a troubled life, but don't know for sure, other than that he had some substance abuse problems.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Damn, he had some serious hops and a great NBA "body." May he RIP. (I believe Jordan did not think O was a winner though.)

6. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

My memeory of him is that he never passed the ball. If he got the ball he shot the ball.

RIP, way too young to go.

7. Same age and same ailment that claimed my dad 12 years ago. One of the most vicious dunkers of the 80s. Godspeed, O.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Dang. I remember him all the way back to his days at Notre Dame playing for Digger Phelps.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Damn... All these people dying early...

RIP

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This is sad news. I was fortunate enough to be at the 1986 playoff game where Jordan got 63 against the Celtics, and the little remembered element of that game is that Woolridge went something like 9 for 28 from the floor. You've got to be the all-time ballhog to take 28 shots on a night a teammate is going for 60-plus.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

RIP to "0"

12. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

Here's a link to the boxscore from the 1986 game referred to earlier. It's hard to read, because it was hand-written, but there's a lot of history in it.

http://z.cdn.turner.com/dr/nba/teamsites/release/bulls/sites/bulls/files/jordan63_boxscore_110420.jpg

One thing that jumped out at me (besides Woolridge's 9-for-27 performance) was the Jordan actually played with former Kentucky great Kyle Macy. The other was all five of Boston's starters had at least 13 points and Walton added 10 off the bench. That's a lot of offense right there.

Draft saved Draft deleted