1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Oral Roberts

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Dec 15, 2009.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

No link yet, just saw on CNN.

2. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

OK, who welched on their pledge drive promise?

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Heaven needed an athletic program that couldn't decide between Division I and NAIA.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

http://www.kspr.com/news/local/79335162.html

"Complications from pneumonia" ... which tends to be a common cause of death among those of advanced years.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Oh, it was an easy decision ... they decided NAIA was more appropriate for a church school right about the time the NCAA was about to drop sanctions on them. Two years later when the coast was clear, they came back to Division I.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I take it nobody's expecting a miracle?

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

There's a special place for Oral. You don't use the Lord as leverage for pledges.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

(sniff) I saw his team's last basketball game while he was still alive! (sniff)

He's off to that garish prayer tower in the sky.

9. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

As a small child, I watched one of his programs and wrote a letter to him requesting a prayer book he was plugging. I didn't comprehend I was required to send money. I never received the prayer book.

10. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

The ORU campus is one of the more bizarre places I've been.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Maybe I've just been married too long, but when I see RIP followed by the word Oral, I shuddered a second.

12. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

Don't think heaven is on his travel agenda. Promoting a false gospel while robbing from the poor is not at all a way to arrive in heaven.

Draft saved Draft deleted