1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Norm Macdonald

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Sep 14, 2021.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Well, strong contender. Definitely Sweet 16 and probably takes the Elite 8 to OT.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Of just cast members in general? Oh God no. A very funny guy at times but he just barely showed up outside of Weekend Update.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

He had a recurring bit role in "The Middle," as the brother of the father character (the janitor from Scrubs). He was really funny.

4. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

My Final Four: Murray, Murphy, Ferrell and, though many might disagree, Hartman.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  5. Songbird

6. Songbird

Shit, Hartman is probably in the title game.

7. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I’d replace Hartman with Mike Myers but the other three I’d have.

8. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Too many iconic to choose from. And if I could sit down and watch new sketches from anybody ever, it would be Gilda Radner. How does Gilda just end?

Mr._Graybeard likes this.
  9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

McDonald was probably the second best newsguy after Miller. Before Miller, the segment was as much a takeoff of the news as the news parodied. Miller and McDonald made it a lot more pointed - and funny.

WritersOnTheStorm likes this.
  10. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

11. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Are we talking SNL work only or after SNL is included?

12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I'm a huge Norm fan, but even I don't think it would matter, if we're talking consideration for the Top 5 or Top 10. Norm was really good, but 1) him being good in a sketch was more of an isolated thing and 2) his work as a talk show guest and stand-up trump most of his SNL stuff. I'm not going to rank every cast member, but if I did, I think he ends up right around the middle to the upper third.

Draft saved Draft deleted