1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Nick Charles

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Matt1735, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Cool. I figured he must have been a good guy with the send up CNN gave him.

2. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Admittedly, back in those days, I actually preferred SportsCenter (it hadn't yet become the overblown monolith it is now), but if for some reason a sporting event preempted SC, I had no problem switching over to see Nick and Fred. Considered them both consumate professionals. RIP, Nick.

3. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Before CNN, Nick Charles did the nightly sports report for one of the Baltimore stations and one of the DC stations after that. That is when I first came to realize that his presence on a TV sports report was something special.

RIP...

4. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Same here. I would often go back and forth liked both shows. Nick seemed like a true pro. RIP

5. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

CNN Sports Tonight was one of the hidden gems of my childhood. Since school was out in the summer, my dad would always let my brother and I stay up to watch that and "The Play.... of the Day."

Great stuff. Rest easy, Mr. Charles.

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Very sad. Nick Charles is one of the all-time greats.

7. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Not exactly Charles-related, but I like how all the CNN greats are working on Atlanta TV. Fred Hickman and Vince Cellini as studio guys for Braves and Hawks broadcasts, Jerome Jurenovich as a sideline reporter.

I can still hear Jerome's signoff on Headline News: "Jerome Jurenovich, CNN HEAD-line SPORTS

Draft saved Draft deleted