1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Nick Charles

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Matt1735, Jun 25, 2011.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

nicely-done obit from bob raissman: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/2011/06/25/2011-06-25_nick_charles_former_cnn_sportscaster__top_boxing_voice_dies_at_64_from_incurable.html

2. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

R.I.P. Nick Charles.

He and Fred Hickman were far superior to Sportscenter and were a great team. My kids used to stay up to watch "Play of the Day." I was sad to see it end. I think CNN Sports Tonight is the prelude to my disgust with ESPN and what it's become.

And I agree that we should spend more effort trying to kill cancer than f--- away billions in foreign hellholes.

3. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I worked with Nick for 5 years at CNN and Turner. I feel like I know him well. :) I smile when I say that because anyone who's worked with him knows what a character he was. I have some great memories. He was a funny guy and a great conversationalist. He knew about music, wine, food, travel... it was so much fun to talk about things outside of sports.

Nick came to my wedding with his then-GF/now wife Cory. After the ceremony, he told me he loved the music, which was a big relief. I'd hired a string quartet but got only a string trio. One string had gotten into a fender bender on the way to the wedding. If it sounded ok to Nick, I knew it was good. He was a big fan of classical music and had great taste.

Some people aren't aware that besides boxing, Nick's other favorite sport was hockey. He LOVED it.

Nick knew I grew up in the South and didn't know shit about hockey. He used to get annoyed with me for editing his NHL highlights too tight. "You haven't shown how the play developed," he would tell me.

He was none too pleased when I was assigned to help him write a special the day Gretzky retired.

I'll never forget him walking across the newsroom after I took my first pass at a few lead-ins.... script and red pen in hand, saying, "____, this isn't half bad!" That was a major sense of accomplishment for me. In less than 24 hours, he and I crash-wrote a damn fine hour-long special on Wayne Gretzky's entire career.

This is so sad. I knew it was coming, but I still feel punched in the stomach.

I know Nick was deluged with support, e-mails, calls and visits in the last couple of months. I think the stories that were done on him gave people the opportunity to tell him how much they loved and appreciated him.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

R.I.P. to a man who with Hickman gave the summing up of the day in sports gravitas and perspective. Then again, ESPN had that with Mees, Lea and Gardner. So along with the passing of a good man, we should mourn what's been lost in sports coverage.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Yes, yes, yes.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I remember watching Nick Charles growing up. Where we were overseas, we finally got some half-decent programming and the military installation used to give us Jim Huber, Fred Hickman and ... Nick Charles.

Charles' personality and generally good humor shone in broadcasts in which he was involved. Sports lost a very good professional and, from the sound of things, humanity lost a great asset.

RIP, good sir. Best to his family.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

CNN Sports rocked. Nick Charles. Jim Huber. Fred Hickman (though he will never be forgiven for his bullshit vote in the 2000 NBA MVP voting). Dan Patrick. Dan Hicks. Hannah Storm. Set the gold standard for cable sports that has since been shit upon the past decade like Mark Shapiro is still in the building and turning everything into a sewer.

Pos had a great piece on him a few months ago and today.

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

___, that wasn't half bad. It wasn't in any way bad. It was beautiful, it gave us splendid insight -- and maybe the best part is, you showed how the play developed.

RIP from a loyal viewer, Nick.

9. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

One of the obits said "Sports Tonight" beat "SportsCenter" in the ratings back when they were competing. Wish there were still the alternative.

10. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Nice recollections, Luggy

11. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

I noticed that ESPN ran his death on the ticker this morning. I was mildly shocked that they would acknowledge that there was any other sports newscasts other than SportsCenter, even going back 25+ years.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

There's no competition anymore; they can afford to be magnaminous

Draft saved Draft deleted