1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Nick Charles

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Matt1735, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Former CNN anchor Nick Charles died from bladder cancer at age 64.

Great stories on him by Joe Pos and on TV by CNN's Sanjay Gupta in his final days.

Wonderful talent.

Fuck Cancer.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Bummer. Loved watching him and Hickman or Huber on the old CNN Sports Tonight shows. RIP.

3. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Great stories written on him, indeed. Had tears in my eyes when I read them.

RIP to a great broadcaster. CNN's sports shows were a nice alternative to SportsCenter.

4. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

X2 on everything said so far and everything that follows.

The day we shoot cancer in the head will be a glorious day, indeed

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

no matter how prepared we are for news like this it still hits hard when it happens. here's hoping nick's long battle has ended with him landing in a much kinder place.

r.i.p. to the man who was part of a great one-two combo that gave us a superior alternative to sportscenter, once upon a time... and heartfelt prayers for the giovanna, the 5-year-old daughter he leaves behind. :'( :'( :'(

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I knew him, but not really well. We'd talked a few times and exchanged e-mails. I'll definitely miss him.
    What a great guy.

7. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Sad story on a guy I loved, too, watching.
    Hickman and the rest, plus Nick Charles, were to-the-point and not even close to the over-the-top bullshit and arrogance and we-are-the-story, dammit! tomfoolery that you see nowadays on so many channels (not just ESPN).

RIP, Nick and condolences to his extended family and friends

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Great link on Nick speaking about his illness

http://babyboomertalkonline.com/2011/8-life-tips-from-cnn-sportscaster-nick-charles/

9. prhack

prhack Member

Fond memories of CNN Sports Tonight. Still remember the time my college alma mater (NAIA at the time) had a three-quarter quart shot featured on Play of the Day. RIP.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, it's too bad CNN sort of abdicated any sort of sports coverage to ESPN. They did sports pretty well back in the day.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Since its not mentioned in any of the obits I've seen so far, its worth noting he reinvented himself after the demise of CNN Sports and was doing a lot of boxing for Showtime when cancer hit. Some of these read like his career ended after "Sports Tonight." I wonder if such a show could make it today, given not only the WWL's sthick and the homerism that passes for reporting on so many regionla channels, especially without any games as a lead-in.

RIP.

12. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

He was a battler. Sad news. RIP.

Draft saved Draft deleted