1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Nick Buoniconti

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CD Boogie, Jul 31, 2019.

1. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

all that matters is who didn't do it thank you god

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Many records get broken because of expanded schedules (14 games to 16, 154 games to 162) or changes in the game and its rules (21st century passing). To equal/beat the Dolphins' mark you have no advantages. You have to win 'em all. That makes it a little special.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

My Dad's favorite AFL-NFL player from the time he saw him in person when the Patriots played the Oilers at Rice Stadium in 1965. When we moved to South Florida in 1968, Dad used Buoniconti as a lesson on how you could reach your full potential despite not being the biggest or strongest player on the field.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I don't blame them either. You know the toast isn't just about that season, it's about teammates lost and all that. And who knows how much longer they'll have Shula. Savor every last moment and screw anyone who gives you a hard time.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

It's douchy to toast to someone else's failure.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I don't think that's what they're doing. They're toasting the continuing proof that what they did is special.

7. CD Boogie

So going forward Mariano Rivera should toast every January when he finds out he's still the only unanimous player inducted into Cooperstown? What's the difference?

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Because this is a group, not individual achievement, and group self-celebration is different.

9. CD Boogie

only in that more people are exhibiting douchy behavior.

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The MNF game against the '85 Bears with a bunch of the '72 players on the sidelines was amazing.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Dolphins: They did it themselves.
    Rivera: Depended on other people for the votes.

12. CD Boogie

OK, how about Don Larsen toasting every time a perfect game is ruined in the World Series?

I get that they want to honor their accomplishments. That gesture, however, always struck me as being in poor taste.

Draft saved Draft deleted