1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Nelson Mandela

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gehrig, Dec 5, 2013.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

One man's tyrant is another man's patriot.

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

He took help wherever he could get it.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I don't know what this means.

I tried to make the point, and Keller makes the same point, that allying with the Communist Party in the early '60's made practical sense.

But, Mandela's embrace of Castro and Gaddafi lasted well beyond the point where they could provide any "help" to him.

4. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

On my NBC affiliate I just saw Lester Holt outside of Mandela's house as he was getting ready to do the news. He had NO IDEA he was on the air. He was just chatting it up with someone off camera, then one of the non-talent people on the set with him leans into the camera and they both started raising the roof and generally yucking it up. There was no audio. It went on for a good 20-30 seconds.

Did that just happen on my station or what that network wide?

5. YankeeFan

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. YankeeFan

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Hundreds of thousands of homeless Americans don't give a shit.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Where do you rank Mandela on the list of most influential people of the 20th century?

9. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

South Africa's treatment of blacks was equivalent and often-times much worse than how we did it here in the U.S. for 200 years.
    Thank God for Nelson Mandela, Dr. King and all the other heroes who stood up and were heard as voices and influential agents of change.
    Rest in peace, brave one.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I was wondering.... could Martin Luther King, Jr. ever been elected president in the US the way Mandela was in South Africa?

11. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Not in his time.
    He'd have been too old once it became possible here.
    Countries on the continent of Africa have such an unbalanced race demographic, compared to the USA, which helped it be possible for Mandela.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

He would have had a lot of enemies in a lot of high places, and I'm fairly certain there was enough stuff in his background that would have torpedoed any attempt. Not that those negate the things he did accomplish, of course, but in an election environment, no chance.

Draft saved Draft deleted