1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Neil Reed

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Most famous for being choked by Bob Knight, the beginning of the end of Knight's tenure.

Reed was 37. Cardiac arrest the reported case.

http://blogs.heraldtimesonline.com/iusp/?p=19627

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Just makes me angry when people die so fucking young.

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Good lord, way too young. He wasn't a bad player, started a couple years at IU, but unfortunately all anybody remembers him for was this moment:

Terribly sad news.

4. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Reed also spent time later at Southern Miss, once the Knight situation ran its course.
    RIP, Neil Reed
    Died way too young. Damn.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Wonder if The Sweater will have anything to say.

6. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Would be interesting, because he certainly didn't pull any punches in his book.

Reed seemed to be the classic example of a kid whose parents constantly kept shopping him around for a better opportunity, and never was completely satisfied. Played for something like 3 different high schools and 2 different college teams.

RIP. He played hard and, before the "choking incident" really was a fan favorite.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

RIP Neil Reed. No one deserved the kind of bullshit he got from the true Knight believers.

After writing a few columns slagging Knight around that time, I'd spend half-a-shift taking calls from idiots who claimed Knight, "never touched Reed's neck." ... or "the tape was altered!"

Get bent running, assholes. Thank God those days are over and most of those Knight dittoheads no longer have him as an antennae to advertise their ignorance.

8. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

He had been coaching high school basketball and golf in my neck of the woods -- Story is on our sports front. Heard the name from sports (I'm in news), but had no idea it was "that" guy until I saw they ran a file photo of him and Knight on the page for tomorrow, and then it occurred to me who it was.

A wife and two kids left behind, also; a damn shame, RIP.

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Sadly, though, they seem to be kindred spirits with those who started up -- and continue to carry the torch for -- the Joe Paterno True Belivers Club.

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Curious to see the reax of the Hoosier fans on message boards and the like.

11. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I always thought Reed was like a 12 year old getting bullied by a high school kid. He did nothing to deserve the kind of treatment he got from Knight.

And Iw as reading the obit in the local paper and saw the following. Kenny Heitz, who was a guard on th Alcindor era UCLA teams died. Always a favorite of mine since I wore the same type of glasses.

http://santamariatimes.com/high-school/erhs/righetti-grad-heitz-passed-away-monday/article_29daeba8-cb18-11e1-920b-001a4bcf887a.html

12. Nobody deserved the treatment they got from Knight.

Draft saved Draft deleted