1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Neil Peart

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Junkie, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

No. Was never brought up.

Can't say too much ... when I let him borrow a couple of CDs, I later heard from a good friend of mine that he used the intro from Genesis' "Firth of Fifth" for one exercise. Only he banned from my friend from answering ... because he knew the guy was a friend of mine and would have the insight.

I've heard he's still around the music building and teaching the odd course or two. Need to see how he's doing.

2. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

apropos of nothing, I made a reference to Randy California in a meeting this week. I may have gotten better get acknowledgement if I had switched from to Swahili in mid sentence.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    Neutral Corner and ChrisLong like this.
  3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I got a line on you, babe.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

5. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Great article. If you haven't done so, read his books. Tremendous stuff.

Splendid Splinter likes this.
  7. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

Damn. What a great read. Wondered whether this story would ever be told.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I had to listen to Tom Sawyer damn well every day freshman year because of my roommate; so I’ve got conflicted feelings here but may he RIP. (Wow sorry I missed this last year)

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Thank you. Really needed that.

Neil died. Then I was laid off. Then between issues with family and no job prospects in the area, I moved to seek better work ... and to hang out with a friend, whose open invitation cannot be thanked enough. Then pandemic.

I've left where I am right now about as often as I've listened to Rush - the former because I take sheltering in place seriously and the latter because it was too painful. I did listen to a lot of Rush right after Neil's death and was doing so when I was tapped on the shoulder in the newsroom and given the bad news. It's probably time that I listen again.

Whether I stay put, go back home or something else ... not sure yet.

10. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

I actually stopped listening to them for a while after their last tour. I was stunned when they didn't play here, considering it's the town that launched them, and they had recently released a live DVD filmed here. Left a bad taste in my mouth. Peart's death kind of brought me back to the music a bit. There are still thousands of YouTube vids I'll never get to.

I feel bad for his daughter mostly.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  11. RARist

RARist Member

Came across this clip of Rush pre-Neil Peart, 1974 playing a high school in Canada.
    Original drummer was John Rutsey - wasn't too bad himself, and was almost the front-man, with intros etc.
    Anyone who worked MLB beat might know his brother, Mike, who was a beat writer for the Toronto Blue Jays for many years.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2022
  12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I wore out the Rush debut album back when there were still 8-tracks. Was that Peart or Rutsey on drums?

Draft saved Draft deleted