1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Natasha Richardson

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by finishthehat, Mar 17, 2009.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Asking a legitimate medical resource about the conditions of Richardson's injury makes us a "bunch of vampyrs"? Please.

This is an awful situation, but that discussion is quite in-bounds.

2. If it takes losing 500 children to make a post count, sir, then I pity you.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

What's a vampyr?

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

It's a non-journalist's vampire.

5. I am a journalist and have been longer than most of you were out of nappies, but I'm glad my son never made the same mistake.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

If you think I'm going to get into a debate with you, you're mistaken. There is no way I could do that and emerge looking like anything less than an ass.

All I am saying is that we've all got our own way of interacting on this board. We're in no need of re-education.

7. Neither am I -- adios, y'all. :mad:

8. KG

KG Active Member

I hate that it takes something to happen to a celebrity to open people's eyes about safety, but I really hope that after this more people will take the safety initiative to wear a helmet on the slopes. It just seems like the right thing to do whether you are just learning or flying down the mountain on two thin sticks.

RIP

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I wondered about that, but the reports were that she was absolutely fine and joking in the minutes (up to an hour) after the fall, so that pretty much removes that possibility.

No matter what, just awful, awful news. My prayers go out to her family.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

i thought she was wearing a helmet?

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

No, she was not. Although, considering how few skiers wear a helmet, I'm a little surprised so much was made of that.

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

None of us know the details of this fall, but that it happened on a green hill and there was no report or indication of anything such as a tree or big rock being involved, I can only guess it's just a freak thing -- particularly based on the reports that she seemed just fine for the first hour after the fall. In other words, I think it's entirely possible that a helmet might not have helped. I'm almost thinking that some kind of previously undiscovered abnormality might be revealed in the autopsy.

I just got back from a ski weekend and will never wear a helmet. I'm not racing at breakneck speeds. If I were a competitive downhill racer, obviously I would.

Draft saved Draft deleted