1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Natasha Richardson

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by finishthehat, Mar 17, 2009.

1. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Re: Natasha Richardson in serious accident

She's suffering from brain swelling and they put her in a plane? Wouldn't the change in air pressure be a bad thing? (I'm no doctor, to be sure.)

2. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Sounds like a closed head injury. I think the key there is reducing the pressure on the brain.

3. Re: Natasha Richardson in serious accident

On that movie set, they were in a little village in Wicklow, and there were all these little kids running around, and Neeson and Richardson spent a lot of time playing with them and, finally, Neeson said to the director, you know, if there were these big doings here, there'd be kids coming out to see. And the kids got to be in the movie.
    Like I said, good people, the two of them.

4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Was just talking a few days about the couple as Liam is a good friend to a nun in Cape Town who's a friend of my wife's family. That was bad news as well because the lady is terminally ill. My wife's also seen them around NYC farily often and says they always appear to be madly in love with each other.

5. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

If there is brain swelling (cerebral edema), the goal is to decrease it aggressively with medications. Since the skull is a closed box, there is no place for the swelling to go and brain tissue can be damaged. Often pressure within the skull is measured with a pressure monitor (commonly called a bolt) that is placed by a neurosurgeon and medications are titrated to get the appropriate effect. Flying in a pressurized airplane would not be a problem and trauma victims are often flown by helicopter or fixed wing to a hospital where a neurosurgeon that does trauma is available.

6. Re: Natasha Richardson in serious accident

If you can't fall in love while playing opposite each other in Anna Christie, there's no romance left in the world.

7. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Ah, thanks. I just thought with that thing where you have to yawn to get your ears popped as you climb, that it'd be something to avoid.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Actually, I think your ears pop because of air pressure in your lungs and the lower portions of your body, not your head.

9. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Several outlets are reporting she's brain dead.

10. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

wow, just saw a local cbs report that she has been taken off life support. how sad.

11. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

The things that pop are the eustachian tubes that connect the middle ear to the nose and back of the throat.

12. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Doc, how does this happen?

What was going on inside her brain?

How can a guy beat the crap out of another guy in boxing and be fine (sort of), but this woman can die from a seemingly minor fall?

Draft saved Draft deleted